Saturday, December 18, 2010

Reflecting on Lessons and Upcoming Goals

My friend and fellow triathlete Beth told me about a cool website called www.reverb10.com. Three women came up with the idea: "Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead."

They give you a word and prompt for each day in December to reflect on your past year. I'm going to start now. I may combine a few prompts from previous days or I may just do the one of the day. I'm just going to try it out. Below are December 17th and today's prompts.

December 17 – Lesson Learned: What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward? Very good question for me at this time. We learn when we make it through the obstacles and challenges of life, right? Well, I've learned a lot this year! The lesson I've really been reflecting on and applying to my mindset in the final days of this year is what I wrote about in the last post. How I decide to see an event, determines how I proceed forward. Whether I proceed forward in a cloud of self pity or whether I see the event as helping me get closer to my life purpose. Also...that in each moment, event or happening in our life that we have a multitude of options of how we react to that event. For instance, I am at a defining moment in my life. It is sometimes scary, sometimes exciting...sometimes I have days when I question everything and other days that I'm practically floating with enthusiasm. Each of those emotions I experience are a reflection of the choice I made that day. To explain this lesson in a few words is my realization that the ultimate benefit of overcoming the challenges in the pursuit of my goals are not the material rewards but who I have become in the process.

December 18 – Try: What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn’t go for it? I want to write a book in 2011. In 2010, I wanted to get into the habit of writing daily. I did go for it. This blog was my way of jump starting this goal. I did write...maybe not every day, but I definitely wrote a lot! I feel really good about it. I feel it was a great platform to begin 2011 with more purpose in this intention.

I would like my word for this year to be purpose. I want to organize all my activities around my purpose and everything I do be an expression of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment