Friday, March 5, 2010

May the road rise to meet you...

I've just spent an hour trying to figure out why the "Scottish" and the "Irish" are considered interchangeable (this is something I've noticed in my life here in the South).  I would love to hear the thoughts of someone from Scotland or Ireland.  My last name is of course Ferguson, something I'm obviously proud of.  From the little bit of reading I did I found out that the Ferguson ancestors came from the ancient kingdom of Dalriada.  This region encompassed the West Coast of Scotland and a portion of Ireland's coast.  Could the answer to my question be that simple?  The reason people consider being Scottish and Irish interchangeable is because the proximity of the regions?  There is no doubt that there was an integration of people between the Scottish and the Irish...along with Norwegian, English, German, French, etc (that's just how it goes).  

Why have I gone off on this tangent?  I received a letter in the mail today from Sineads Cottage, a gift shop of Irish and Scottish merchandise.  They're having a contest called "Home to Ireland", the winner receives a trip to the Emerald Isle.  It's a "voyage" for two where the winner will "embark" on a 8 day Irish Heritage Tour.  I want this trip.  Would I be eligible as a Ferguson?  According to my miniscule research Ireland could have been some Fergie's home.  

Whether I will or not I'm definitely going to celebrate with these shop owner's on St. Patrick's Day.  It appears they will be having a grand celebration of the Irish Holiday.  There will be Irish Whiskey, Irish Cream, Irish soda bread, and Irish sausages.  Sounds like a Fergilicious adventure!

How cool is this.  The Ferguson Clan motto is...sweeter after difficulties

2 comments:

  1. I love your Clan motto, sounds like fergitude! Even better after being on an adventure.

    ReplyDelete