Monday, March 8, 2010

Observing More

 I said I would elaborate more on how writing this blog has helped me appreciate and be more observant in the moment.  There are three moments that come to mind from this weekend.

  • My good friend MarCharia's baby shower 
  • Being at Ferguson's with four of the most special men in my life.  My husband, my brother, my dad and let's not forget my Jack Russell, Captain.  
  • Hanging out with my in-laws
Writing this blog has helped me reach a few goals.  The goal specific to this post is being more present.  In the three moments I mentioned above, not only did I enjoy the experience as I normally do but I also was aware of how special they were during the moment.  In the course of the baby shower I tried to drink in all the details of my friend's celebration, while partaking in it at the same time.  I considered things like the time and effort her family put into the event.  The way the guests interacted with each other.  At Ferguson's I payed attention to the bond that my brother and my husband have formed.  The joy my dad had in telling us about his golf game.  The love that was felt as all four of us talked.  Then, while hanging with the Hoffman's I reveled in the comfort I feel with them and embraced the conversations, the food and the company. 

In these observations you witness not only the happy moments but also the troubled ones.  It is all important.  I believe that this being more present will infuse more vitality, quality and understanding into my life.  That can only lead to more vivid and exciting adventures!

 


2 comments:

  1. Can it also infuse vitality, quality and understanding into the live's of those around you and to what extent do you think? I often wonder if people view contemplation while one is around others as negative?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say yes it does infuse to those around you. I believe that anytime that you at peace with yourself or really enjoying a moment then that can not help but rub off on those around you. As for contemplation being viewed negative, I would say it depends. If you were totally withdrawn from the scene in deep thought, then others could see that as aloof, snotty, or anti-social. I guess it is like most things, a balance.

    ReplyDelete