Wednesday, February 17, 2010

An Experiment: explore your day.

"What is Fergitude 
Fergitude is a state of mind.
It is the attitude that every day is an adventure. A choose-your-own adventure that is better than any book or movie you will encounter because it is your life."  
That was the first few sentences of my first post.  My mission in this blog was/is to relish, experience, stay mindful, and to be present of each moment.  Whether these moments are big or small, happy or sad; they are forming my life.  Today, I would like to do an experiment and would LOVE for you to join me!  It's very simple.  Our quest is to just pay attention.  To be aware of each choice we make and it's outcome.  What path does it take us down, how does it make us feel, who do we touch because of it.  We make a lot of decisions throughout the day therefore some will have passed before we even know it.  That's okay, this is just a casual exercise.  I'm curious to how it will play out.  My prediction is that we will be pleasantly surprised to the magical moments that happen in the average day.

More than likely these decisions will be what we have considered insignificant in the past.  Some examples (but definitely not limited to just these) are:  what time we choose to get up, what do we wear, what do we eat for breakfast, what route do we take to work and how we get there (walk, car, bike, horse, ...), how do we react to those on the road, how do we walk into our office (whatever/where-ever it may be), who do we see, how do they effect us, how do we effect them, what do we choose to work on, what's our attitude while doing it, what do we do for lunch (eat in, go out, invite someone, skip,...), what do we do after work, who is with us, how do all the people we encounter effect us, how do we effect them.  More than likely we will not be able to fully be aware of each moment because of other demands.  Just when you can, be conscious of the choices and where they take you.  I will probably need something that will remind me of this quest when I get sidetracked.  I'll wear a ring today that I normally don't.  Each time I look at it, I'll be reminded of my experiment.  If you need something like this it could be something as simple as a rubberband.  It would be wonderful to hear what you discovered with your experiment, so feel free to share!  This mission starts after you have read this post.

It will be as if we are scientists researching ourselves.  As if we are anthropologists fascinated with the enthralling moments of an average day in our lives.  We will be on an adventure within an adventure.

What we choose at every turn contributes to the masterpiece that is our life.

4 comments:

  1. Today is a day is the day where I will choose if I take the road less travelled. I woke up at the normal time of 7:30 am, fed the dogs, made my coffee, put them outside, and came in to check my work email and facebook. On average my normal routine Monday-Friday. Since it is still off-season I'll leave my house at 9am and take the exact same route to work I always take - BUT today I am going to look at a house that I am considering buying for the 2nd time and of course bringing my mother and father along - who would tell me to say hello to you and ask "How is Nicole doing?" Too which I'll reply although I have not seen her in awhile she's as beatiful as ever and smiling in all the pictures I see. The house I am looking at is far from beatiful and far from updated but I see the beauty in it and it feels like home to me when I am there - I just have to make sure the structure is as good as the feeling :) So today at 11:30 I may be choosing a road and I hope for me it is the one I would have never traveeled down and I hope to be planting my first tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try to think before I act today to see if I choose something different that what I would impulsively do

    ReplyDelete
  3. ziggyziggy, you have quite an adventure ahead of you today. I would love to know more about this house exploration and planting of your first tree. Both of those things are quite important in my life too. Greg, I think you think before you act most of the time. Only now and then when you feel very passionate are you sometimes impulsive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My answer was so long that I am emailing it to you. I was feeling down but the gift you gave me that sits infront of my desk describes it perfectly. I will email you the paragraph I am referring to. It is a real awakening to yourself what you are doing. Thank you.(On a side note I wish you were going home today so that I could come with you and have a FergieBurger!! Fergitude with every bite! :)

    ReplyDelete