Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Just Keep Swimming

I'm a member of a triathlon training group called the Y Dub Tri Club.  We have practice every morning in swimming, cycling, and running.  Tuesday and Thursday mornings we swim.  We average about 2600-2700 yards each swim which equals about 1.5 miles.  It's no joke.  I've been working out with them since October 2009 and boy have I seen a difference in myself physically and mentally.  I've pushed myself further than I thought I could.  It definitely has added value to my fergitude.  One of the greatest perks of joining has been the friendships.  It's not like we have long to talk during the drowning swimming, spinning or running but somehow between breaths we have learned about each other and became friends.  There's this joke between me and one of the members.  When we are pushing ourselves in one of these sessions and don't know if we can keep it up we think of this...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmyUkm2qlhA

Oh, I get a kick out of that every time!  I noticed it was called Dori's philosophy when I was looking for the clip.  As one of my friends said in her comment on the last post, that action overcomes the hurdles that come your way.  Just like the athlete who jumps over the hurdle on the track.  We also progress forward by some sort of action.    Whether it is the act of keeping one foot in front of the other, an act of love/kindness, the act of refraining from acting=), making a plan, or the act of just being present in that moment.  Once you've acted, you can look back with the gratification of what you achieved by that action.  Whatever you chose advanced you forward in your journey and THAT is invigorating!  This morning, despite how slow I felt, how much water I swallowed, or how much I wanted to stop...I just kept going.  I relaxed...and just kept moving forward.  Afterwards, I felt vivacious...and ready for my adventure of the day.

If you ever find yourself in one of these moments, try to remember Dori's philosophy...and just keep swimming!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha Can't believe you wrote this this morning already and we were just talking about the acting scene and the act of refraining from acting:). Maybe that's why we like improv because it's not so much acting but throwing yourself in and can be more in the present. - Must watch Nemo again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love this!I'm going to watch this every Tuesday and Thursday before we "just keep swimming". If I start whining, you have permission to call me Grumpy Gills.

    ReplyDelete