Friday, February 12, 2010

This is a Test

That's what I kept saying to myself yesterday.  This is a test.  This is a higher power, testing my durability.  Here's the timeline of blows:

  • 5:30pm 02/10 Your Dad has Cancer(possibly treatable).  Ka-boom!  The bomb hits.
In the aftermath, I wake up the next day(yesterday) to...
  • 10:00am 02/11 I'm asked to retrieve a file from 2 years ago...potential lawsuit.  Wham!  I'm punched in the gut.
  • 10:30am 02/11 A client demands stop building...terminate contract.  Slap!  In the face.
My world started to spiral, again.  I sat down and cried.  A few minutes later a new emotion started to replace the fear and sadness.  The first word that comes to mind is resilience.  It was like the change that superman experiences when he goes from the timid Clark Kent to the "man of steel" superhero within seconds.  Of course that is an exaggeration of my transformation, but it did happen that quickly.  I went from feeling like a victim to realizing the power lies in how I react.  As soon as that realization hit, I experienced a calmness...empowerment...courage.  It was like I just ate a can of spinach.  
                  To recognize in each moment you have a choice can provide strength to your resolve.  
                  My spinach was having a choice to how I react to my present.

The two train wrecks that happened that morning had gotten back on track by noon, thankfully.  This goes back to the lesson Dad taught me during one of our many "front porch swing during a fantastic thunderstorm talks".    Life is constantly changing.  You can count on that.  You go up, you go down and back again.  The assurance lies in knowing that cycle.  The duration can be seconds, minutes, days, weeks, years.  I'm okay with you "cycle of life". 

Going to see Dad today, to give him lots of love and hugs.  PS...Yesterday, I had a knight and shining armor/superman come to my rescue...my husband.  

3 comments:

  1. Please give your dad a hug for me. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mo, I definitely will! I got your message. I was working with a client when you called. I'll be in touch soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm realizing I can't go a day without reading your posts incase I miss something. Though I do love catching up in person.Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.:)

    ReplyDelete