Sunday, February 14, 2010

It's All About the Heart


Some passionately love it and others feel just as extreme in disliking it.  The holiday Valentine's Day can invoke so many different emotions in all of us.  I like to randomly research and/or experiment with things that interest me often.  After observing reactions at the Heart Ball(one of the many ways I celebrate my Mom's life) last night, at the grocery store, on the phone for work and on Facebook today I decided to do a little informal research on Valentine's Day.  After reading some history on the origin and reflecting on this year's comments and years past...I've come to this conclusion:  I think there is something in Valentine's Day for all of us.

Let me explain:

Obviously it is for those of us out there who are in love.  It is a day to appreciate that special someone.  It's a day to show them we care for them through words, acts of kindness, delicious food, quality time, etc.  Some of my facebook friends woke up to breakfast in bed, clean houses, gifts, and much more.  I bought my coffee this morning from a heart clad barista who is a self pro-claimed Valentine's Day fan.  Greg and I are going to bake a pizza from scratch as our Valentine's Day present to each other.  Instead of Hallmark Cards, we've decided to create original love letters to each other.  Throughout the nation, couples are putting their energy, time and money into this day of love

What about those of us out there who are not in a relationship.  I think it easy to feel left out of this Holiday if you are single.  Sometimes to combat this feeling, we get a gang together to rebel against it.  It's just fun to rebel every now and then, so I'm with you on that too.  It's especially hard if you are mending a broken heart to enjoy the whole idea of Valentine's Day.

The thing is, I don't think this day is solely about couples and romantic love.  As I mentioned above, I did a little informal research into Valentine's Day.  I LOVE history therefore reading about the many theories of the origin of Valentine's Day was thrilling.  I'm not here to talk about which one is correct, I say to each their own on that.  What I would like to offer is a fergitude perspective on Valentine's Day.  The perspective:   it is all about heart.

What's that you say?  That's nothing new?  Well...there's a few definitions of heart.  One of them being: 

 spirit, courage, or enthusiasm

Valentine's Day is about being brave.  It's about having the courage to go for what you want, the spirit to persevere, and the enthusiasm that life is your very own exciting adventure whereas you are the Captain.  Whether that means going out on a limb to ask someone out on a date, having the compassion to make someone's day brighter, the sensitivity to love those in your life, the tenacity to pick yourself up and keep going/loving, and the nerve to love yourself for all that you are.  

It's All About the Heart

My Snow Fisherman seemed to have taken this attitude to heart.  I woke up to find him leaning slightly.  

I've deducted that he may have found a beach girl who knocked his socks and hat off.

1 comment:

  1. He he Love the snow people. For me it's all about being grateful whomever is around you to love, including your pets.

    ReplyDelete